5 Wellness Apps That Will Change Your Life
Here’s a little fact, I love a good app. I’m always looking for new ways to improve myself, my habits, and my efficiency, and apps are a great way to do that! I have searched for and tried out some of the most popular health and wellness apps, and some not so well known apps, and want to share my 5 favorite health and wellness apps with you guys! I’m not even kidding, these have changed my life and the lives of those I’ve shared them with!
I would say this is my absolute favorite app of all time!! I use it daily, and I can 100% say this app has changed my life for the better! Insight Timer is a meditation app that offers literally thousands of guided meditations, meditation music, and talks on wellness. They have meditations of various lengths, on many different topics, some with music, some without, by many different teachers.
This app offers a few different sections to choose from:
- a section that includes a selection of new meditations for that day
- a section on sleep, sleep meditations, and sleep music
- a section for meditations, including a meditation timer that you can customize to your own preferences, and all your bookmarks and favorites
- a section for courses and classes
- a profile page where you can connect with other people, join groups, and see your activity and stats
One perk with IT is that you can follow a favorite teacher, or bookmark your go-to meditations! It makes them quick and easy to find, and it also helps to avoid becoming overwhelmed with all of the meditation options. The app is awesome, but I also love what they stand for and that they are making meditation accessible to anyone who would like to do it. Awesome job, Insight Timer!!! Can I also say, I have tried many other popular meditation apps such as Headspace and Calm, and in my honest opinion, this one is definitely the best, which is why it's my fave and why I use it so much!!
Insight Timer is a FREE app, but it gives you the option to upgrade to a subscription to the app, which unlocks meditation classes on various subjects, more meditations, the Daily Insight meditation, and helps to support the app to keep it free to all who care to enjoy it. You can also buy a single course or class, or simply send a donation to a specific teacher as a token of appreciation. You can find Insight Timer in the Google Play and iTunes App Store or at https://insighttimer.com
Want a peek into my bookmarked meditations? Check out my most listened to meditation on Insight Timer here: https://insig.ht/fMskalid4V
Cost: Free for basic features or upgrade to Premium for $9.99/ month or $59.99/year
ThinkUp is another app that I use regularly to increase my daily performance, to maintain my mental and emotional health, and to help me manifest my best life possible. ThinkUp is an affirmation app that offers the feature of recording the affirmations in your own voice, making the affirmations easier for your mind to accept, therefore, making them more effective and likely to stay with you.
With this app, you can choose from hundreds of pre-written affirmations or you can write and record your own affirmation(s). The free version of ThinkUp offers the ability to create up to 5 affirmations and one music selection, and the premium version allows you as many affirmations you would like to record, plus 12 more music selections, as well as the ability to organize your affirmations into easy to find playlists and categories. You can find ThinkUp in all the usual app stores.
So what's the big deal about affirmations? Our thoughts shape our reality, every positive and negative thing that we think helps to create our lives, who we are, and how we view the world we live in. When we consciously focus our attention on positive, self-affirming thoughts, we raise our energetic vibration to the vibration of that thought to align with it. And when we are aligned with our positive intentions, thoughts, and vibrations, we naturally fall into flow and begin to manifest all the wonderful things that we have come into alignment with. With affirmations, we can see changes in our ways of thinking, changes in our habits, and real change in our lives.
Cost: The Free version includes up to 5 affirmations, or upgrade to the unlimited Premium version for $5.99/month or $44.99/year
Workout for Women
Holy butt-kickin' workouts Batman!! This app packs a punch with its variety of easy to follow workouts, targeted exercises, and a user friendly interface. And honestly, I think it would be just as effective for men. I could tell you a hundred good things about the WfW app, I love it that much, but here's a rundown of my favorite features on it:
- Each workout is broken down into sections that include instructional videos (if needed) where you can see how each exercise is properly performed. This is a huge helper for proper form, reducing the risk of injury, and achieving better results overall.
- It has a 7 Minute section just for shorter workouts for when you're short on time or just want to get in an exercise quickie. And let me tell you, they are effective!
- It offers different experience levels for beginner, intermediate, and advanced users. This is beneficial for a couple of reasons, one you won't be jumping in a workout that is over your head and may hurt you, and two, when you begin to outgrow one level, you simply move up to the next.
- There is a section to view your past workouts, see how many calories you burned using the app, and how many days you worked out that week. It also features another section where you can track your weight if you like.
- The workouts are broken down into exercises that last anywhere from 10-20 seconds, which makes it easier to complete the full workout.
- The workouts are guided so you don't have to be looking at your phone or device the whole time. A narrator tells you what exercise is coming next, counts down the last 3 seconds of an exercise, and tells you when the workout is complete.
Overall, I love this app and it has brought new motivation, and new exercises, to my physical care routine. If you're looking to build strength or just to tone up a bit, I would definitely recommend this app.
Cost: 100% Free!! (Awesome, right?!?!)
If you're a fan of yoga, then you're going to love this one! Yoga Studio is an app designed to bring yoga classes to you anywhere you may be! This app offers a variety of classes that focus on everything from relieving back pain to family yoga to pranayama exercises. There are also different experience levels to choose from so that everyone from newbies to advanced yogis can benefit and learn from this app.
What I really like about the classes on Yoga Studio is that they are easy to follow, and that they flow at a nice pace. I also like the variety of classes they offer and that they regularly introduce new classes.
Another cool feature that YS offers is the ability to create your own class. And it's easy to do too. You can create a class with all your favorite poses, or a challenging new class of poses you've always wanted to try, or mix it up however you'd like, it's totally up to you! It also gives you the option to create a schedule so that you can customize your yoga routine to your schedule. And recently, they also added an achievement page, where you can track your progress and earn milestones along the way. Plus as a bonus you get 20% off at Giam.com just for using the app.
Cost: The free version Yoga Studio gives you access to a few select classes but not many. And the premium version is a bit spendy, which is the only issue I have with this app. Premium prices are $9.99/month or $95.99/year. Overall I personally feel that this app is worth the money, considering what going to an actual yoga studio costs, but it is a lot for an app subscription and I understand that not everyone wants to pay that.
Oh Pacifica, I can't say enough good things about this app. It is truly a life saver. Up until a few years ago, back before I had all the wonderful wellness tools that I now have in my tool belt, I struggled with anxiety and depression on and off basically for as long as I can remember. I wish I had this app then. Pacifica is a mental health app that has the ability to benefit everyone. Whether you struggle with mental health issues or are just looking for a way to keep tabs on your thoughts, feelings, moods, and emotions (which is a great health habit btw), this app has a lot to give. Here's a run-down:
- Pacifica offers different areas to choose from like stress management, becoming happier, overcoming depression, etc. and then encourages you to try different activities or meditations in those areas to help you improve your overall mental health and wellness. You can even set it to send you notification reminders of your activities.
- It allows you to track and to see your mood patterns over a period of time. This is helpful for understanding the things that trigger your mood to change. When we understand what our triggers are, we can be more aware of them in future circumstances and try to avoid them or find a way to react differently to them, therefore changing how it affects us.
- You can share your Pacifica app up with your counselor or psychologist. This feature is great for those working with a professional to share progress, review your mental health data, and have mental health activities assigned that are personalized to you. You can even chat or video chat with your counselor right on the app! If you aren't currently seeing a mental health specialist, you can find one in the app as well.
- You can track your progress, daily check-ins, activities, moods...pretty much all of it in this app. It gives a great visualization of where improvements have been made and where work still needs to be done.
- Pacifica also has a community page with lots of people who are there to share their experiences, encourage each other, and to offer support to those who may need it. It's totally anonymous, and no trolls or spammers are allowed. This is a great place to get things off your chest or to vent. It's also a great place to share your accomplishments and celebrate your successes as well!
- My favorite thing about Pacifica, I think, is that the home screen is personalized to a place that you pick that you feel is calming, and the words "How are you?" on the screen. How are you... it's such a simple question and we hear it all the time, but how often do we answer honestly? Not often, because we feel it's not safe to share those feelings, or because we don't want to burden others with our troubles, or for whatever reason, we don't often share our true feelings. But with Pacifica, it's safe. It's private, it's secure, and no one will judge you.
Cost: The free version offers plenty of features and is pretty great all by itself. But the premium version unlocks all of the meditations and activities, which are very helpful and helps keep things fresh with the new features. Premium fees are $8.99/month, $53.99/year, or $199.99/lifetime
So, there you go. Those are 5 apps that I absolutely had to share with everyone because I truly believe in the benefits they have to offer us. I have seen a positive difference in my life using these, and I hope you will too. You can find any of the apps I mentioned above in the Apple app store or the Google Play store.
***Please note: Everything written in this post is my own personal opinion. I have not been paid, endorsed by, or recognized for mentioning any of the products or companies in this, or any post, in my blog. Please see a doctor before beginning any new health or exercise program.
Wishing you wellness!!